This summary is designed to assist you as a guide. For a more detailed explanation of the Town's sign regulations and requirements please review Section 6.3 of the Town's zoning regulations. In addition, Appendix C, section 6 of the zoning regulations includes a series of design guidelines for signs and Chapter 123 of the Town Code.
Signs may only designate two of the following items: name, address, logo, type of business, or principal product. Where the logo appears along with other information the logo shall be limited to no more than 25% of the sign area, unless waived by the Commission.
For the purposes of determining the permitted sign area of a wall sign each business shall be allowed a total sign area that is based upon the linear foot of that portion of the building frontage wall that the business occupies.
In business zones, where a site does not have a detached sign, wall signage is permitted at a rate of 2 square footage of sign area per lineal footage of building frontage, i.e. a business with 40 feet of frontage x 2 s.f. = 80 s.f. of signage allowed. Maximum square footage of all signs shall not exceed 125 square feet.
In instances where a site has a detached sign wall signage is permitted at a rate of 1 square foot of sign area per lineal foot of building frontage up to a maximum of 125 square feet of all signs.
On corner lots a business shall have 2 frontages. Each front shall be determined separately for permitted sign square footage. Maximum signage for all fronts combined shall not exceed 125 square feet.
Detached signs shall be located at least 5 feet from any property line.
Detached (free standing) signs are permitted at a rate of 1 per building based upon the following:
- Property contains 100 feet or more of frontage and the sign is 8 feet or less in height the sign can be up to 25 square feet in area.
- Property contains 100 feet or more of frontage and the sign is 8 feet or less in height the sign can be up to 32 square feet in area.
- Property contains 100 feet or more of frontage and the sign height is less than 8 feet in height or less the sign can be up to 40 square feet in area.
- Property contains 100 feet or more of frontage and the sign height is less than 5 feet in height (see additional conditions) the sign can be up to 50 square feet in area.
- Properties in the Village Business zone the sign can be up to 25 square feet in area.
All permanent signs shall be reviewed by the Design Review Advisory Committee prior to the issuance of a sign permit. (Except for the replacement of sign panels which shall not require the approval of the DRAC).
The zoning regulations permit a wide variety of signage for a variety of uses. Some signs do not require a permit, others can be approved by the Zoning Enforcement Official and others require approval from the Planning and Zoning Commission.
Any sign located in the Historic District shall obtain the necessary approvals from the Historic District Commission.
All permanent signs shall obtain a building permit from the Building Department before the sign is erected.
An application for a sign shall include:
- An application form.
- Any required fee.
- A plan (drawing) of the sign including colors.
- The location of the sign on the site, include a plot or site plan (Show setback of sign).
- The location of the sign on the building, include an elevation drawing or a photo of the building facade.
- The height, width and area of the sign.
- Proposed lighting of the sign.
- The total area, and gross area of all other signs on the site.
- The linear frontage of the lot.
- The linear frontage dimension of the business.