The Wethersfield Memorial Day Parade originally scheduled to take place Saturday, May 23, 2020 has been cancelled. This year's theme is "Recognizing Gold Star and Blue Star Families." If you or an organization you are a member of would like to participate in this year's parade contact us today.
The committee is looking for a few volunteers this year to help during the parade. If you would like to volunteer at the parade, please contact us at email@example.com or feel free to call the Parks and Recreation Department at (860) 721-2890.
- The parade committee is once again requesting financial contributions for the parade activities this year. We need your support! Any contribution will be deeply appreciated. Information can be obtained from and contributions made to:
- Town of Wethersfield - Memorial Day Parade
- c/o Parks and Recreation Department
- 505 Silas Deane Highway
- Wethersfield, CT 06109
The Memorial Day Committee would like to encourage all residents, spectators and residents living along the parade route to demonstrate their support for the veterans and our country by displaying the American Flag during the parade.
For more information about the parade e-mail the committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deceased Veterans Honor Roll
Sponsorship / Support
The Memorial Day Parade Committee would like to thank the Wethersfield business community, organizations and volunteers who have given their support and who are helping to make this year's event memorable. If you would like to consider the sponsorship of a band or helping us in any manner, please contact the parade committee at email@example.com.
Memorial Day Ceremonies
Memorial Day Address Speaker
The Winning Essays
Sixth Grade Artwork Project
Flags of Appreciation
In recognition of all veterans, the GFWC/CT of Newington/Wethersfield Womens Club, a member of the General Federation of Womens Clubs, will be displaying a "Flags of Appreciation" to honor our veterans. A series of flags will be displayed in front of the Hurlburt-Dunham house at 212 Main Street during the parade as a thank you to all our Veterans and members of our Armed Forces.
Information for Marchers
All marchers are reminded to begin arriving at the line of march beginning at 8:15 a.m. Marchers will be lined up on the grassy area between the DMV and the Solomon Welles House. Vehicles and floats will be lined up in the DMV parking lot and on State Street. Beginning at 8:30 a.m. only parade traffic will be allowed from Hartford Avenue to State Street. Shortly before the parade is to begin traffic will be closed off on State Street from both directions and access to the line of march by vehicle will be prohibited.
Parking at the Department of Motor Vehicles will be for those marching only. Those who are simply dropping off individuals who are marching are asked to drop individuals off and then proceed to exit. Buses and trailers will be directed to the rear parking lot of the DMV.
The line of march is posted below. It is subject to change.
At the conclusion of the parade, all participants are invited to the ceremony at the Village Cemetery on Marsh Street.
Line of March
The parade will step off at 9 a.m. and will head west on State Street to Nott Street then to Garden Street. It will then proceed down Garden Street, left onto Church Street and then right onto Main Street. The parade will continue on Main Street, then take a left back onto Garden Street to Broad Street. The Reviewing Stand will be on the Broad Street Green. We will then proceed north on Broad Street and cross Marsh Street to the Village Cemetery (behind First Church) for the cemetery services.
Parking for spectators will be available throughout the parade route. Spectators may also park on any residential street not marked by "no parking" signs. Parking for marchers will be available at the Department of Motor Vehicle on State Street rear lot. The rear parking lot of the DMV will also be available for buses to park during the parade.
Below is a list of street closings and approximate times they will be closed. (All times listed below are approximate.)
- State Street (entire length) — 8:30 a.m. to 9:45 a.m.
- Nott Street (from Garden Street to State Street) — 9:00 a.m. to 10:15 a.m.
- Garden Street (from Nott Street to Church Street) — 9:15 a.m. to 10:15 a.m.
- Church Street (from Garden Street to Main Street) — 9:15 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
- Main Street (from Church Street to Garden Street) — 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
- Garden Street (from Main Street to Broad Street) — 9:30 a.m. to 10:45 a.m.
- Broad Street (west side, from Garden Street north to Marsh Street) — 9:45 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
- Marsh Street (from Main Street to Broad Street) — 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
In addition, the following streets will be posted with temporary "No Parking" signs:
- State Street: From Hartford Avenue to the west driveway of DMV — both sides
- Nott Street: Around monument island at Hartford Avenue and Nott Street; from Hartford Avenue to Garden Street — both sides
- Garden Street: From Nott Street to Church Street — both sides
- Church Street: From Garden Street to Main Street — both sides
- Garden Street: From Main Street to Broad Street — both sides
- Broad Street: From Garden Street to Marsh Street — both sides
- Nott Street/State Street intersection
- Nott Street: Between State Street and Garden — both sides
- Main Street: From Church Street to Garden Street — both sides (Saturday morning only)
In the event of inclement weather, the ceremonies will be moved indoors to the Wethersfield High School Auditorium, 411 Wolcott Hill Road, and will begin at 9 a.m. The latest parade information will be announced on WTIC radio station after 8 a.m. and on the Parks and Recreation Department program information line at (860) 721-2890. Information about postponement will be announced on WTIC-FM (96.5) after 8 a.m. and on the Wethersfield Parks & Recreation Information Line at (860) 721-2890. An announcement will also be posted in the announcements area of the home page of the town web site.