ALL FIREWORKS (with the exception of sparklers/fountains) ARE ILLEGAL IN CONNECTICUT and may not be sold, purchased or used, with the EXCEPTION of regulated fireworks displays by state licensed, professional pyrotechnicians at sites which are approved by state and local officials.
A person 16 years of age or older may sell, purchase, or use sparklers or fountains for OUTDOOR USE ONLY.
- A wire or a stick coated with a maximum of 100 grams of pyrotechnic composition that produces a shower of sparks upon ignition.
- Any cardboard or heavy paper cone or cylindrical tube containing pyrotechnic mixture that upon ignition produces a shower of colored sparks or smoke.
- EXAMPLES OF ILLEGAL FIREWORKS:
- Aerial shells, Roman candles, sky rockets, bottle rockets, M-1000s, M-100s, M-80s, cherry bombs, firecrackers, and lady fingers. Also novelties and trick noisemakers that produce smoke, ash, or a small noise. These include snap poppers, party poppers, smoke bombs and snakes and are also ILLEGAL in Connecticut.
The Police Department and Fire Marshal have the right to seize any illegal fireworks in town.
If you choose to use sparklers or fountains please follow these safety tips:
- Never allow anyone under 16 to hold or ignite sparklers or fountains
- Use sparklers and fountains outdoors in open areas, away from structures
- Wet down the area after use
Even though sparklers and fountains can be purchased and used in town, they still can pose a fire hazard.