Restore Electrical Power Safely After a Disaster
Before restoring electric power after a flood, hurricane or other disaster, take no chances that equipment may have been damaged.
- Make sure the power is off before working on any equipment.
- Replace any that has visible damage.
- Electrical equipment that has been submerged must be replaced or reconditioned by trained factory service personnel.
- Seek professional advice from a local building official, electrical utility or qualified electrician before restoring electrical power.
- Select and apply electrical equipment in accordance with ratings, nameplates, wiring diagrams, instructions and warnings for that equipment.