ARTICLE XIX, Economic Development and Improvement Commission
§ 10-51. Establishment; acceptance of statute.
The provisions of Section 7-136 of the General Statutes are accepted and, pursuant thereto, an Economic Development and Improvement Commission is established for the promotion, improvement and development of the economic resources of the town.
§ 10-52. Commission to be development agency.
§ 10-53. Membership; terms; alternates.
- The Commission shall be known as the "Wethersfield Economic Development and Improvement Commission."
- The town hereby designates the Wethersfield Economic Development and Improvement Commission to be its development agency as provided in Section 8-188 of the Connecticut General Statutes.
§ 10-54. Removal of members.
- The Commission shall consist of nine (9) members and two (2) alternates appointed by the Town Manager as chief executive authority of the town. The membership shall be composed of:
- One (1) member of the Wethersfield Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors.
- Three (3) members from the Wethersfield business community.
- Five (5) members from the community at large, one (1) of whom shall have commercial real estate background.
- One (1) alternate from the business community.
- One (1) alternate from the community at large.
- Of the nine (9) members and alternates initially appointed, three (3) shall be appointed for terms to expire on June 30, 1982, three (3) shall be appointed for terms to expire on June 30, 1983, and three (3) shall be appointed for terms to expire on June 30, 1984. All subsequent appointments of members shall be for terms of three (3) years, commencing on the first day of July, except for the appointments of the two (2) members added during 1984, which shall be for initial terms of two (2) and three (3) years, and for three (3) years thereafter. Any vacancy in a membership of the Commission shall be filled by the Manager for the unexpired term of such member. In addition, said Commission will have the following ex officio nonvoting members:
- The Town Planner.
- A designee from the Town Planning and Zoning Commission.
- A designee from the Town Council.
Any member of the Commission may be removed by the Manager for cause and, on request of such member, after public hearing.
§ 10-55. Compensation.
The members of the Commission shall receive no compensation for their services as such but shall be reimbursed for their necessary expenses incurred in the performance of their official duties, subject to budgetary limitations.
§ 10-56. Employees.
The Commission may appoint employees necessary for the discharge of its duties, subject to budgetary limitations and relevant Charter provisions.
§ 10-57. Powers and duties.
§ 10-58. Coordination with other town bodies.
- The Commission shall conduct research into the economic conditions and trends in the town and shall seek to coordinate the activities of and cooperate with unofficial bodies organized for the purpose of promoting economic development in the town.
- The Commission shall maintain an up-to-date list of all town-owned land and buildings, make annual recommendations for the use and development of the same to the Town Council, review all proposals for new development and redevelopment submitted to any town official, agency, board, committee or commission and make recommendations on such proposals based upon the impact such proposals will have on the economic growth and development of the community. The Commission shall encourage businesses to maintain and improve the vitality and environment of the business community and shall recommend and report on proposed road improvements and other considerations that relate to business activity. The Commission shall continuously review and update the information maintained by it concerning resources available for prospective economic development and shall oversee the town staff's recordings of building and land availability. The Commission shall implement the use of its resources to encourage compatible businesses to move to become established in Wethersfield.
- The Commission shall annually prepare and transmit to the Town Council a report of its activities and of its recommendations for improving economic conditions and development in the town.
The Commission shall coordinate its activities with the Town Planning and Zoning Commission and with other interested officials and agencies of the town, and the Commission may invite to attend and participate in its meetings and deliberations, but without vote, any person not a member of the Commission.
§ 10-59. Advertising.
The Commission may advertise and may prepare, print and distribute books, maps, charts and pamphlets which, in its judgment, will further its official purposes, subject to budgetary limitations.
§ 10-60. Appropriations.
- The annual appropriation by the Council for the purposes of the Commission shall not exceed a sum amounting to one-twentieth of one percent (1/20 of 1%) of the last completed grand list of taxable property.
- In the performance of its duties and in the exercise of its powers aforesaid, the Commission shall not incur any expenses or obligate the town to pay any expense in excess of the funds appropriated by the Council for such purpose.