Print page Email page

NADA Used Car GuideMotor Vehicle Taxation

Motor vehicles are assessed at 70% of the NADA (October edition) average retail. If not listed in NADA other publications deemed appropriate are used. If not listed in any publication, estimates are used. Vehicles that are registered with antique plates receive a maximum assessment of $500.00.

A vehicle owned by you on October 1, of any year is taxable the following July. Vehicle purchased after October 1, and prior to July 31st of the following year will be taxed on the supplemental list billed in January, 15 months after the assessment date. Disposal of a vehicle entitles you to a credit from the month after the month of disposal through September 30th of the year following the Grand List year (upon request the credit can be computed on a per diem basis, such requests must be made in writing). If the vehicle was replaced and the same plate was used you will get a supplemental bill in January of the year after the taxes were due, credit will be automatically applied to your bill. Credits may be applicable to the October list or the supplemental list.

Motor Vehicle Standard Forms of Proof of Disposal

Two Forms Required

  1. PLATE RECEIPT from DMV indicating that the registration has been CANCELLED, LOST or STOLEN.
    1. A copy of the bill of sale. (The bill of sale is now on the bottom of vehicle owners registration form and transfer information must be recorded on the back of the registration form before being submitted to DMV - therefore the seller's obligation is to provide a copy of the signed registration form along with the plate receipt to the Assessor.)
    2. A copy of the Transfer of Title. (The seller must provide the Assessor with a copy of the signed title and the plate receipt.)
    3. Out of State registration — proof of residency and a copy of registration showing the date the vehicle was registered outside the State of Connecticut along with the plate receipt.
    4. Stolen vehicle — a statement from the insurance company indicating that the vehicle was stolen and NOT RECOVERED. Owner must file a lost or stolen plate form with the DMV.
    5. Totaled vehicle — a statement from the insurance company indicating that the vehicle was totaled. if owner did not return plate than he/she must file a lost or stolen plate form with the DMV.
    6. Junked vehicle — a notarized receipt from junkyard in addition to the plate receipt.
    7. Trade-in vehicle — a copy of the purchase agreement identifying the trade-in vehicle and a plate receipt.

NOTE: All information must be DATED and the VEHICLE ID NUMBER must be on all documentation.