The Town Manager is responsible for the preparation of the proposed General Fund and Capital Improvement Budgets, controlling and directing all town agencies, coordinating the town's day to day operations and overseeing the numerous responsibilities and duties associated with the Manager's position as Chief Executive Officer.
Form of Government
The Town of Wethersfield has a Council/Manager form of government. The Town Council sets policy and programs for the community. It consists of nine members who serve two year terms. The Town Manager is a paid administrator who helps implement the policies set by the council. The mayor and deputy mayor are selected by a majority vote of the nine members at the first meeting following an election.
The 2018-2019 Proposed Town Budget is available below.
Budget Adoption Process
Chapter VII of the Town Charter governs the development and adoption of the annual operating budget. Chapter VII requires that prior to the first Monday in April, the Town Manager submits to the Town Council a proposed operating budget for the General Fund for the fiscal year commencing July 1st. Said operating budget includes both proposed expenditures and the means of financing them (i.e., revenue sources). On the third Monday in April, a public hearing is conducted to obtain taxpayers' comments. Finally, on or before the 15th of May, the budget is legally adopted by the Town Council through the passage of a series of motions and the required rate of taxation is set accordingly.
Town Council Budget Workshop Schedule
The following are the scheduled Town Council budget workshops:
- Monday, 4/16/2018: Budget Public Hearing, 7:00 p.m., Town Council Chambers
- Wednesday, 4/18/2018: Budget Workshop with BOE, 6:30 p.m., Stillman Building
- Monday, 4/23/2018: Budget Workshop - Department Presentations, 6:30 p.m., Fireside Room at Community Center
- Wednesday, 4/25/2018: Budget Workshop - Department Presentations, 6:30 p.m., Fireside Room
- Monday, 4/30/2018: Budget Workshop, 6:30 p.m., Town Manager's Conference Room
- Wednesday, 5/2/2018: Budget Workshop, 6:30 p.m., Town Manager's Conference Room
Listing files in 'Town Manager Documents'
Jeff Bridges, Town Manager
Cheryl Pearce, Executive Secretary
Address: 505 Silas Deane Highway
Phone: (860) 721-2801
Fax: (860) 721-2994
Mon.–Fri. 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.