Library Resources for Small Businesses
Help for the Small Business Owner
Utilize these Internet and Wethersfield Library print resources to assist you in starting or maintaining a small business. Wethersfield Library provides free Internet access.
- Business & Company Resource Center
- This database is provided by the Connecticut State Library and Department of Higher Education. On this web site you can search for company information, industry information or business articles. You can connect directly to the database from within Wethersfield Library however, from outside the library you will be prompted to enter your Wethersfield Library barcode to log into the database.
General Business Information
- Business Owner's Toolkit
- Find information and tools to help you start, run and grow a successful small business.
- Connecticut Licensing Info Center
- This web site is designed to help entrepreneurs navigate the requirements of starting or expanding a business in Connecticut.
- Connecticut Community Investment Corporation
- This corporation aids and assists the expansion of existing industry, commerce, and local entrepreneurship by offering consultations, technical support, as well as educational and financial assistance.
- SBA's Office of Women's Business Ownership of The Entrepreneurial Center at Hartford College for Women
- This local office serves both men and women, with a special emphasis on women in business. It offers training and counseling for new, prospective and existing business owners.
- SCORE — Service Corps of Retired Executives
- This is an organization of retired business executives and business owners who volunteer to advise small businesses. There are several offices in Connecticut.
- United States Small Business Administration
- This government web site provides information on starting, financing, managing a small business as well as many other topics. There are also links to SCORE and the SBA's Women's Business Centers.
Writing Business and Marketing Plans
- The largest single collection of free sample business plans online. Also contains helpful tools and know-how for managing your business.
- Business and Marketing Plans
- This web site provides dozens of sample business and marketing plans. It also includes tips for creating a business plan presentation.
- Business Plan Basics
- From the Small Business Administration, this web site outlines business plan basics, and how to successfully write and implement a business plan.
- The Mplans.com web site provides marketing plan resources. You can find sample marketing plans and articles to help your business.
Business Law Resources
- This web site provides legal information for business, including starting a business, employer and employee rights, financing, immigration, worker's compensation and many other business-related legal issues.
- Find information about starting a business, choosing a business structure, writing a business plan, choosing a business name and other useful information.
Tax Help for Small Businesses
- IRS Small Business and Self-Employed One-Stop Resource
- This web site includes information on EINs (employer identification number), tax information, links to other small business information, online self-directed workshops, and other helpful government information.
Business Magazines Online
- Business Week Small Business Online
- Special features include a small business guide and small business tools. Find information on financing, day-to-day operations and small business staffing.
- Find information and articles on business start-ups, marketing, franchising, e-commerce and many other business areas.
- Find recent Inc.com articles as well as articles according to business topic, "how-to" information, the Inc. 500 list, and other useful business tools. Registration (free) is required for access to some information.
Home-Based and Solo Worker Business Information
- Find timely news and how-to information to run a successful home-based business.
- A New Workplace at Home
- This site offers business ideas, articles, and resources to help you start a business at home.
- Work at Home Index: Your Work at Home Resource
- A directory of online and offline business resources to launch, run, and maintain a successful home business.
- Working Solo
- This web site is specifically oriented to providing business information for small office/home office companies with 20 or fewer employees, including self-employed, telecommuters, and other independent business professionals.
Wethersfield Library Print Resources
- 658.4 COVELLO
- Covello, Joseph
- Your First Business Plan: A Simple Question and Answer Format Designed to Help You Write Your Own Plan
- Covello outlines the various parts of a business in order to create a winning business plan. Includes complete sample plans with an easy to follow question and answer format, easing you into the creation of a winning plan.
- 658.022 HORAN
- Horan, Jim
- The One Page Business Plan: Start With a Vision, Build a Company!
- This book will show you how to write your own one page business plan for start-ups, small to mid-sized companies, corporate divisions, and non-profits.
- 658.041 LESONSKY
- Lesonsky, Rieva
- Start Your Own Business: The Only Start-up Book You'll Ever Need
- The author and staff of Entrepreneur Magazine deliver a book loaded with business advice on hiring employees, location, loans, image, leasing versus buying equipment, and much more.
- 658.041 NORMAN
- Norman, Jan
- What No One Ever Tells You About Starting Your Own Business: Real Life Start-up Advice from 101 Successful Entrepreneurs
- Norman addresses small businesses' common and uncommon miscues with advice and insight from more than 100 entrepreneurs.
- 658.11 PURTILL
- Purtill, John S. (Jr.)
- Starting a Small Business in Connecticut
- This book is designed for those going into business for the first time. Topics covered include: raising startup money, keeping good business records, understanding employment regulations, and many more critical business concepts.
- 346.73 STEINGOLD
- Steingold, Fred
- Legal Guide for Starting & Running a Small Business
- Steingold offers a clear and concise path around many of the legal pitfalls encountered regularly by today's entrepreneur.
Additional Business Information for Connecticut
- Utilize the Connecticut Business-to-Business Marketing Directory to search major employers, companies by city and product, and yellow page category. This is a reference book found at the Information Services desk. R 338 Connecticut 2003
- Also, be sure to visit the Wethersfield Chamber of Commerce at http://www.wethersfieldchamber.com. The Chamber is committed to supporting Economic Development as well as serving as the 'voice' for you and your business.